Movie Review - Raw


Hello everyone, I'm sorry for my absence these last days.
I've been busy with work and other things that don't let me have all the time I want to dedicate 100% to the blog. 

Well, in another hand, I asked Alex from Ins0mnya to do a collaboration post this week!

So let's get started!

This movie was all over the news a few months ago and I decided to give it a try and watch it.
The main theme here is cannibalism.
Well, this is not a theme that I usually see in movies, but this one was all about that.
For the ones that don't know much about this subbject, I will leave here a small explanation of what it is:

"Cannibalism in humans is the act or practice of humans eating the flesh or internal organs of other human beings. A person who practices cannibalism is called a cannibal. The expression cannibalism has been extended into zoology to mean one individual of a species consuming all or part of another individual of the same species as food, including sexual cannibalism."

Pretty extreme, I know. But the point is that Raw was a smart and well structured movie. The plot is simple to the eye, but complex in a more detailed way.
What happens in the movie is that a young vegetarian undergoes a carnivorous hazing ritual at vet school and an unbidden taste for meat begins to grow in her.

Let's get real: I didn't know what to expect of this move at first. Before I even watch it, I read an article that said a lot of people fainted and left the cinema because they couldn't handle the movie. Well, I'm a curious human being, I admit. So I asked my sister if she wanted to watch the movie with me. She said yes and we started watching it. 20 minutes later I felt intrigued and I just wanted to watch more, and more. The story is super interesting, the actors are great and I loved the transition of the main character from a super innocent girl into a cannibal.
That's it, the innocence on that girl's eyes was totally destroyed when her meat cravings started to become stronger.

In the end of Raw everything makes sense. That's why I say this story is good and complete, because things start off as natural, and normal and end up in confusion and sadness.
 
I ended up watching the movie two more times because I just love how things evolve gradually.
You don't see any type of meat feast or super gore scenes and I guess that's the beauty of it. You explore the universe of the main character, Justine and face her dilemmas and crisis: sexuality, doubt and choices.
And you also start thinking about the main reason behind her change of behavior. Why did she started eating meat? What changed? 

The gore effects are also flawless and well done. All the  lacerated extremities, bite marks and gaping wounds are perfect. They look real and I guess that's why there's a lot of viewers disgusted by it visually. 














Do I recommend this movie?

Yes, I do! It's a smart, addictive and well developed story.
Even if you don't like that cannibalism type of thing, just give it a try.
I really enjoyed to watch every minute of Raw.




Well guys, I hope you like my review.
Please tell me in the comments bellow what you think about it or even if you fell tempted to give it a try.
Oh, and please show some love to Alex and visit her blog! She's awesome!

Have a great week!
Stay awesome and I'll see you on my next post!

XO,
Di.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anime Review - Seikon no Qwaser

Anime Review - Kill la Kill

Why I've been gone